Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Loss?



"Winning is fun!" That's Michaela's quote. I agree 100%.







That's why on a Thursday night in Dubuque, Iowa we were left feeling anything but...Matt's Greenville College soccer team had made it to 'the big dance.' They were in the NCAA tournament...an accomplishment only 32 teams in each division in the country can boast of.







At halftime we were leading 1 to 0. Within 4 minutes of the last half, Loras College scored. Within 8 minutes they scored again. They added a 3rd goal in the last ten minutes of the game.







I felt sick to my stomach watching the last ten minutes of the game.







Matt played with a whole heart the entire game. My mama's heart was 100% proud.







As the final seconds ticked away and the deep chanting voices of the Loras fans filled the stadium "Season's Over" clap-clap-clap-clap-clap, "Season's Over" clap-clap-clap-clap...my eyes remained glued to #17...my son.







His face hung. He whipped off his headband letting his long hair fall over his face. I searched to see him, his eyes...his slumping shoulders said it all.







Bobby then realized we left the bags of trailmix for Matt in the Durango. He left to go get them.







Inwardly I panicked as I watched Matt and other players slowly cross the field. Oh no, he's going to get here before his dad. What am I going to say? What can I say? His dad is so darn good at knowing how to do these things...what do I-







Matt had reached our side of the field. He swung a leg over the bleacher rail and pulled himself up. He flicked his hair back..then quickly looked down again.







I was speechless. I reached out and pulled him close. Tears filled my eyes.







"I love you, Matt. I'm proud of you," I whispered.







He pulled away, looked up and after a few seconds of silence said quietly, "It just stinks. For Terrance and the rest of the Seniors, it's over. Soccers over. I feel bad for them."







I swallowed hard, to hold back more tears.







Bobby arrived.







I watched him, with relief. I mentally focussed all of my pitiful listening skills on my man. What would he say? How could I learn from his gift of knowing just what to say?







He smiled sympathically at his son. Then he shrugged and said, "You got here. Most teams never do."







Matt nodded.







"You do have trail mix," his dad said with a grin.





"Trail mix will make it better?" Matt said with a twinkle in his eye.






I stood quietly. That's all? Is there no more we can say...to make him feel better? To give clarity? To make it make sense?



Silence.






Yes, Michaela. Winning is fun...and yes, Matt, losing does stink.







As your mom I feel inept to know what to say, how to help, how to encourage you in your faith during the poopy times of life.





I don't.





I do want to be there. I'm not sure exactly how it makes a difference, but it must. I'm sorry I can't give you more. It stinks that I can't give you more.

But wait...

Maybe 'the more' can only come from another place, another source...and praise His name if it isn't Jesus.



The only One who can take an L and make it a W.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I had tears in my eyes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. You have a wonderful way with telling stories. I had tears as I read this. You are indeed a Christian Warrior, a Witnessing Warrior.

    ReplyDelete