Monday, March 14, 2011

Denying Yourself


Chuck Swindoll said something the other day while I was between Madison's dance and soccer practice. He told the story of a woman who brought her baby to General MacArthur. (Why General MacArthur...I'm not so sure. I mean Jesus is one thing, a war general, something totally different!) Anyhow, as this famous, decorated war-hero held up the baby he simply said, "May you live to deny yourself."


Ouch!


Have I taught my children to deny themselves? More importantly have I modelled it? E.e.e.e.e.w!


Now if you asked my children if they've been denyed, I can only guess they'd have a chorus louder than the Mormon Tabernacle, singing "yes."


Matt would tell about the time he had $5 for spending money at church camp ($1 a day for snacks) and every other kid in his cabin had $20, at least. (O.k., I'm feeling a little bad, here.)


Madison would tell of the time we went shopping between soccer games at a tournament. Her friend's mom generously pulled out two $20's and a casual "Have fun." Madison got a crisp 10 spot and a "Spend wisely cuz that's all your gettin'."


Michaela would tell of a high school soccer game when her friends pulled out a wad of cash while she was trying to decide on the popcorn or two red blow pops.


Meredith would remember the time a friend was spending the night. She complained we had no good snacks. My response, "What we have is what we have!" Her little friend got out her cell phone (of which Meredith does not have) and called her mom who within a matter of minutes brought over 2 blue Gatorades, 2 packs of gum, 2 boxes of red hots, 2 boxes of family sized bugles, 2 ring pops, 2 boxes of Oreos and 2 cans of Coke. Oops! Make that 2 20-ounce bottles of Coke.


All of a sudden I'm not feeling so badly. Maybe having a tight budget has actually been a blessing. Who would've thunk it?


No comments:

Post a Comment