Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Unexpected


Being a mother is full of the unexpected.  I remember holding that dear, sweet baby boy and envisioning what he would be like. 

Oh, he'd be an athlete, just like his daddy.  He'd love reading, just like his mommy.  Most importantly he'd love Jesus just like his daddy and mommy.  As I organized all of the adorable baby boy clothes I had gotten at showers, I anticipated the day he would wear each of them.  The little, dressy church outfits were my favorite.   
  
Fast forward a couple of years and "Matt Cowman!  Stop it!  You are wearing that to church."

Matt, at this point, hated collared, button-down shirts.  He somehow managed on the short trip to church, to break the button on his blue oxford cloth shirt.  I was livid, as I rummaged through the church kitchen drawer looking for a needle and thread, when I discovered I couldn't even sew it back on...he literally broke the button.

Matt was never a typical first born.

In Mrs. Kniffen's fourth grade class, he spontaneously burst out in leading the class in "Who Let the Dogs Out?" "Woof, Woof, Woof, Woof!"

That was Matt.

When many chose limos to go to the prom, Matt rounded up a group of friends and their dates and they took the church bus.

That was Matt.

As Matt prepared to leave for college I sat down with paper.  What would I tell my son?  What advice would I give to the young man who had been nothing like I had expected?

I decided to make my letter up-front.  I numbered each piece of advice.  #1 I printed on the side of the paper.  What should be number 1, I thought to myself?  What might he need to remember above all else?  Chances were that he might not even read numbers 12 or 20.  So number 1 should be good. 

#1 - Don't let anybody ever put you into a mold.  God made you one-of-a-kind.  Be that!  Don't let a Christian school put you into a Christian mold.  God made you to be your own person, Matt Cowman. Stay true to that!

Last weekend I found myself at Vatterott with my one-of-a-kind son.  It was the day he had talked about for months and months.  Yes, it was dread-lock day. 

As I watched for three hours as knots, braids and wax mangled together into long strips, I thought back to my advice letter.

What was I thinking?

No, Matt Cowman, you've not been what I've expected.  Oh no...so, so much more!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment