Monday, September 6, 2010

A Day of Humility


Have you ever had one of these? Personally, I wouldn't recommend them. It started when I graciously volunteered to take Hercules (our giant black lab) out for his morning potty break.


The worse case scenario happened on our potty-walk. Just up ahead was a lady speed walking with her mini-dog. 'Shoot' I mumbled under my breath. 'Time to turn around.' I started pulling Hercules and noticed 'Oh great! He's doing his business. No pulling allowed.' He finally finished, as the speed walker, kept coming. Frantically I began pulling him back towards home.

I was too late!


He spotted the new dog to sniff and lunged forward. I was not letting go. He literally yanked me off my feet as the speed walker and mini-dog sailed right by us cutting through a neighbor's yard to avoid our chaos. As I struggled to pull my body up off of the sidewalk, while still holding onto the leash and the demon dog, I could only hope I'd never met that neighbor before...and never would.


Later, I challenged the family to a Labor Day bike ride. Madison quickly reminded me that Meredith was not there and her long-legged friend could never ride Meredith's bike from two years ago. Without thinking (surprise, surprise) I said, "I'll ride Meredith's bike if we all go."


Bob grinned, "We're going for a bike ride girls!"

Every person in Quincy, plus all of their out-of-town relatives was at Moorman Park as we rode by...a long line of girls led by dad and caboosed by the clown mother.


It ended when my dear man at 9:00pm said, "Hey, doesn't a Starbucks sound good?"


Yes, I had already showered...no make up on, stringy hair air drying and pajamas on. Of course, Marissa waited on me. No, it couldn't have been someone I didn't know. Not today!


On my car ride home I was hangin' with God and asking the obvious, "What was the deal?"


He whispered one word...'humility.'


"Ugh" I groaned. "Humility is so...embarrassing, so demeaning, so 'please tell me no one saw that'...so opposite of-

pride."

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I think our lessons in humility show God's great sense of humor. Of course, depending on the lesson, we can't see the humor until months -maybe years- later!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete