Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dutch Blitz



Have you ever played Dutch Blitz? Last night Michaela challenged me to a game. It's fast paced and demands constant thinking, watching and slapping cards down into a center pile (with one hand, mind you) trying to be quicker than your opponent.






The first time I played Dutch Blitz I loved it. Matt showed me how to play several years ago. Let me say that more truthfully, I hated it because he killed me at it. Yet, I knew I would love it as I played it more and got better.






I have played that game 100 times...I am NO BETTER! I now hate Dutch Blitz. I always lose. No matter how many people play I am always the loser.






Now for those of you that simply play to have fun, you may not get this. Part of the fun of playing a game is in the unpredictability of who will win. Part of the fun of playing a game is the anticipation 'It may be me.'






I have no such anticipation!






Michaela tried to console me the other day. "Mom you should play grandma. You could actually win!"






I made a discovery last night...always losing at Dutch Blitz is not the only reason I do not like it.






Madison joined us after soccer practice. We started the game over...yes, Michaela graciously let me start over instead of continuing on with the 113 to 17 previous score. ("At least you're not in the negatives" she said with a smirk.)






So as I was flipping every third card over to see if I could play any in the center...I heard it! The sound I hate in Dutch Blitz.






Slap, slap, slap-slap-slap...the sound of Madison pelting the center piles with her cards.






I felt anxiety rise up in the pit of my stomach..."the game is passing me - I should be throwing cards in - red 5? - no I just have a 6! - wait...a green one just got put down-my 2? Shoot! Too late!"






If that weren't stressful enough, Michaela shouts "The yellow 7! Mom put down your yellow 7!"






"Yellow 7?" I ask stupidly. "Where's my yellow 7?" "Oh" I grab it and just miss the pile as Madison's yellow 7 glides onto the pile first.






Gosh, writing about this is giving me clarity. This doesn't even sound like a fun game! Why would anyone want to play it? I'm confused and I know (sort of) how the game works.






I hate Dutch Blitz because the sound of others "getting somewhere" brings ridiculous anxiety to me. I feel like I am getting passed by. I am missing my opportunities. I am being left in the dust.






Sometimes I feel like that in life.






I'm already 44. Where am I getting? What am I doing? Am I making my life count?






When I look around and see others zipping through life, getting master's degrees, going on expensive vacations and having it all...I might think, "What am I doing?" O.k., I do think "What am I doing?"






Then I hear it. A very small but comforting voice inside the pit of my stomach. A voice that is nothing like a game of Dutch Blitz...more like a Starbucks Peppermint White Mocha.






It whispers..."Darling, look what you do have. An amazing husband who you are crazy about. (D'ya like that, honey?) Four children who just thinking about them makes you tear up with pride. And Me...the God of the Universe who is doing more in your little peon life than you could ever imagine.






Nothing is passing you by! Drown out those loud slapping sounds with the sound of my voice. I'm here to remind you as often as you need.






I love you! Trust me! We are going somewhere...together. :)




I gotta love that!








Just one question...what ever happened to the card games where everyone takes their turn?

4 comments:

  1. Love this. What a great reminder.

    P.S. Dutch Blitz makes me a nervous wreck...AND I'm usually in the negative numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved playing dutch blitz at our house. We'd always ask my dad to play on Saturday nights because he'd forget it was our bedtime and he'd keep saying, "Just one more game"-even though he was always winning. We picked up his habit of slapping the cards down too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Thanks again for the wonderful reminder of what is important!

    And for the record, Dutch Blitz brings back precious memories of me and my nieces and nephews. Sure miss those good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dutch Blitz & really miss my friends who introduced me to it (we moved). I'll bet you would win against my 8 year old who doesn't move quite fast enough yet. ;-)

    Great writing. Excellent story leading into how God speaks. Moving.

    ReplyDelete