Sunday, July 17, 2011

UGH?

Ugh...that was my initial thought when Pastor Jeff asked me to chaperone our youth group.  They were leading a Vacation Bible School in Pittsfield and staying in a hunting lodge down there.

I had been mentally planning all that I was going to do when my girls were gone.  I knew I could get lots done...but not anymore.

I drove down on Tuesday night.  What would I do all week?, I wondered.  I really didn't have "a job."  I counted the number of days.  I basically just had Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night.  Three days should go fast, I thought.

When I got to the Lodge, I was pleasantly surprised.  It was beautiful.  It had a gorgeous lake.  And most importantly of all, it had air conditioning!

I was greeted by Meredith.  She showed me around.  We walked around the lake to the dock where Michaela was busy swimming and playing games.  Madison was playing soccer on the side lawn.  Cool, I thought.

That night, Pastor Jeff had a "Praise and Worship" time.  I sat in awe as each kid prayed.  I rejoiced as hand after hand raised with praises to God.  "I'm thankful God kept us safe through the tornado warning."  I'm just glad God cooled everything down."  "I'm glad we're all getting along."  "I still can't believe God brought us 49 kids!"

As I lay down that night, sharing a room with Deb Casula, the ultimate teen chaperone, I had a hard time sleeping.  That's not normal for me!  We were so busy sharing stories of what God had done in our lives.  That night we had our own praise and worship service.  As I fell asleep I wondered, why had I wanted these days to pass?

The next morning, we arrived at Pittsfield First Baptist Church.  The first VBSers arrived.  A stocky older boy and cute little sister, sheepishly got out of their car and shyly headed to our welcome tent.

I hurried over. 

"Hi.  I'm Ms. Lisa."

The young man shoved his hands into his jean pockets.  "I...I'm Levi."

"He's my big brother.  I'm Chloe."  The little sister said confidently.

Soon we were leading VBSers into the church for songtime.  I noticed Levi chose the very back of the auditorium.  While everyone else was singing, doing the motions and hopping around, Levi stood awkwardly. 

I hated that no one was sitting on the other side of him.  I quickly made my way beside him.  After song time, Levi headed to his first station.  I walked beside him. 

"You ever had sushi?"  He asked.

"I have," I replied in surpise.

"I like it.  Do you?" Levi asked.

"I do!"

"I really like cooking," Levi said with a smile.

"Oh yeah?  What do you cook?"  I asked.

"Well you know those dinner rolls?" he asked.

I nodded.

"You take one of those and cut it in half.  Now don't use a butter knife.  Use a knife with jagged edges.  Then butter both sides real good."

I smiled.

"Keep the roll open and put both sides down in a frying pan.  Brown it.  Then take it out and fry an egg in the pan.  Put lots of salt and pepper on it.  Then fry 2 slices of baloney.  Then put it all in the roll.  That's all."

"Wow, that does sound good!" I told Levi.

He smiled.
I had made a friend.

I found myself thinking about Levi after VBS was over.  He was precious!  Here he was an eleven year old getting ready to move into a difficult stage of life.  He needed to know Jesus to navigate through those tough years.  I prayed for him. 

That night, Kassie (one of our youth) and I talked about her Bible lesson. 

"How about we add in an invitation" I asked her.  "That way if God's working we'll know and can give kids the opportunity to trust in Christ."

Kassie liked the idea.

As the invitation was given.

You guessed it! Levi and 4 other kids received the gift of salvation.  I was amazed. God had worked in these young hearts, revealing Himself.

How could I have been so hesitant and negative about giving my free time to join the youth group? 

On Sunday morning, many of our youth went back to Pittsfield First Baptist to enjoy a "Celebration of VBS" church service led by Pastor Mike.  Unfortunately I couldn't go.

After church, I anxiously awaited my girls coming home.  How had it gone?  Did many of our VBSers come back?

My girls eventually arrived. 

"Mom," Madison said excitedly, "Levi and his little sister were there!  Levi asked where you were.  He wanted me to give you this."

I reached out and took a piece of folded up white paper.  Inside Levi had drawn a gnome.  In the corner, he wrote:  To Mrs. Lisa, a good friend of mine and god.  Drawn by Levi.  7/14/11

What a blessing I had been so close to missing!

God replaced my selfishness with praise.  

God replaced my hesitancy with anticipation.

God replaced my ugh with a wow!

1 comment: